After skipping Classic Spin #7, I’m ready to try again and give Classic Spin #8 a try!
The Rules (from The Classics Club, The Classics Spin #8):
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
- Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by January 5, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)
My Spin List, gleaned from my Cavalcade of Classics:
- The Book of Margery Kempe by Margery Kempe
- The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
- Villette by Charlotte Brontë
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northrup
- The Confessions by Augustine of Hippo
- Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs
- Life and Times of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
- Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington
- The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton
- The Histories by Herodotus
- The Republic by Plato
- Lives by Plutarch
- Good Wives: Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England, 1650-1750 by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
- The New England Mind by Perry Miller
- The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell
- The Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- The Great Crash by John Kenneth Galbraith
- The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan
The Lucky Spin Number will be revealed on Monday, November 10. Drop by then to see what I’ll be reading before January 5!