A lot happened in September. Heck, a lot has happened in the first three days of October. The hits just keep on coming.
On the reading front, September was a fairly dry month for me. I let too many other things distract me (like my TBR List Declutter ). But October 21-22 is Dewey’s 24-Hour Readathon, and I’m getting excited for that, so hopefully this month will be more read-y for me.
In caterpillar news, I am sad to report that although the long-lived last caterpillar formed a J, he/she did not successfully pupate and is now at rest in our compost bin. Our snail pets are doing well, but we’re thinking about setting them free before cold weather because snails are really only so interesting, and I think they’d be happier in the garden than in a plastic terrarium listening (do snails have ears?) to my kids practice piano.
Now to the point of this post: The list of books I read in September!
Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community and War by Nathaniel Philbrick (read before, during, and after our trip to Plimoth Plantation; also #139 from my TBR list!)
Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey (read during and after my Utah trip; also #2 from my TBR list!)
African-Americans in the Thirteen Colonies by Deborah Kent (read-along with my son, although he read most of it before I got to it)
Hans Brinker, or The Silver Skates by Mary Mapes Dodge (audiobook)
- A Spoonful of Sugar: A Nanny’s Story by Brenda Ashford (audiobook and the SBC October Selection)
- Mormon Country by Wallace Stegner (I fear this one’s destined for the “stopped-reading” shelf; it’s just not grabbing me)
- How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez (the SBC September Selection)
My To-Read List for October (a little more ambitious because of the readathon):
- Ruins by Peter Kuper
- Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War by Tony Horwitz
- What Made Maddy Run by Kate Fagan
- What It’s Like to Be a Dog by Gregory Berns
- Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman (I’m trying to read more YA to see what my daughter’s reading)
- Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon (see note ^)
- The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas
- Get In Trouble by Kelly Link
- The Adventures of Superhero Girl by Faith Erin Hicks (I’m trying to read more comic-type books to see what my son’s reading)
What have you enjoyed reading in the past month? What’s on your to-read list for October?
- Bookends: August 2017
- Bookends: July 2017
- Bookends: June 2017
- Bookends: May 2017
- Bookends: April 2017
- Bookends: March 2017
- Bookends: February 2017
- Bookends: January 2017
- 2016: My Year in Books
- 2015: My Year in Books
- 2014: My Year in Books
- 2013: My Year in Books
- 2012: My Year in Books
- 2011: My Year in Books